How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Missouri. Our daughter is 16 years old, and recently

Customer Question

We live in Missouri. Our daughter is 16 years old, and recently got married with our consent. Her biological father continues to pursue a change in custody and relocating her to Arizona, despite the fact that emancipation is automatic upon marriage in AZ. He has gotten a judge to schedule two hearings despite the marriage emancipation. What can happen?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you. Do you know what the nature or purpose of the hearings are supposed to be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A change of Parenting time/visitation/custody.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Frankly, if she's exempted from custody due to her marriage, there isn't much the judge can do at the hearing, except determine that she is, indeed, properly and legally married. In other words, you need to come to the hearing prepared to prove up her marriage. If the judge does, for some reason, attempt to proceed as if she's still married, you can appeal that decision, and you would almost certainly win.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.