How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 764
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So we lived in Colorado Springs years had a baby he

Customer Question

So we lived in Colorado Springs for 2 years had a baby he lived there for 8 months of his life then my husband got out of the military we went to his home state Idaho and then he waited exactly 3 months to file for divorce. My question is can I have this case dismissed go to Colorado and start a newcase because in Colorado I have a job still all of my banks are through Colorado I have a place to live just didn't have to pay anything and the landlord wrote a statement that the boys and I are able to stay there also my mail Gos to that address and that we agreed upon those terms before we left Colorado because my husband had me kicked out before with all of my kids I have daycare in Colorado and my car registration is still through Colorado. So how probable that they will dismiss this case and let me reopen one in Colorado
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have residence in Colorado however we both been in Idaho for three months and tequnicly when I talked to other atturney story said that Idaho does not have jurisdiction over my son because he was born and lived in Colorado for more then 6 months
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Have you actually been served with the Idaho divorce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I figured. Do you know if you were served with any kind of preliminary injunction with the documents or any document that legally prevents you from taking the kids now and moving to Colo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can't leave Idaho right now
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.
Darn. Ok, well I do agree about the jurisdiction of the children being 6 months. If you can, you should file an action in Colo seeking the relocation of the children and everything related to child custody and parenting time. It can happen that Colorado will keep jurisdiction over the children while the divorce part may happen in Idaho, but you gotta get the kids back to Colo before they have been in Idaho for 6+ months.
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer so that it may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! -Rich