Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

The father of my child pays me child support each month.

Customer Question
About a year in the...
The father of my child pays me child support each month. About a year in the child support was lowered by $35 a month because he was ordered by the court to pay for health insurance which was $70 a month. So my half of the $70 a month insurance was deducted from my child support.He has not paid for insurance for several years now and I want to get the money owed to me. Also I'm starting to pay for new insurance for my daughter (through my new job) and I want him to pay for half of that. For a short time during the years where he was not providing health insurance I had state covered insurance for my daughter. It was only for a short time and not the entire time he wasn't providing it.General when I go to the court to settle these matters they force me to go to mediation twice. Will they require mediation here? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
A court order remains in effect until it is modified, so if one wishes a modification they need to file the necessary motion.If no insurance was provided then generally the party that was responsible for insurance that failed to secure it is liable for any medical expenses that would have been covered under insurance. For past due amounts, the judge will need an itemized statement as to what money was received, what was outstanding, and the relevant dates. Since the judge can only order child support retroactive to the date of the filing of the request, it is important to seek modification right away, as payments made to insurance independently will not be recoverable unless the order so states.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will mediation be required for this?
That depends on the local judge; most courts require it for visitation/custody issues, but not for support issues, unless a party requests it.
attorneys may be located here: http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/ kindly rate positively if no further questions.
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer