How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30151
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife cheated on me and I cheated on her and a child came

Customer Question

My wife cheated on me and I cheated on her and a child came out of my cheating. Can she take me to the cleaners, We have no children together. I gave her the house that we live in will I be made to continue to pay for that home. and do I need a lawyer I'm not looking to hurt her or take anything from her. we both get VA benefits on a fix income.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Marital misconduct is not relevant when dividing property. A spouse who committed adultery cannot claim alimony in South Carolina. S.C. Code of Laws, Section 20-3-130. It doesn't matter that you also committed adultery, except that you can't ask for alimony from her, either. What she's entitled to is roughly half the assets acquired by either of you during the marriage, which is the same as what she'd get if you didn't have a child with someone else. You don't legally have to pay for her house - that's considered alimony.

You do not need a lawyer, but it might be in your best interests to get one if she's out to take as much as she can (especially if she has one).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.