How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3461
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorced from my wife now 4 years. The divorce

Customer Question

I have been divorced from my wife now for almost 4 years. The divorce was granted in Newton County, GA. We have two boys - ages 16 and 13. My ex wife is the primary physical custodian, but we both have joint legal custody and joint decision making authority. My ex wife and children now reside in Louisville KY.
My ex wife has opened bank accounts for both children. Both children have jobs and have deposited money into their accounts. My oldest son has requested to see his bank statements from time to time, but my ex wife has refused. My son came across a recent bank statement and found that there was an electronic withdrawal from his account for $1,000.
I would like to know if my children have any legal rights to review their bank statements? If not, do I have any legal right to obtain that information for them? The accounts have the children's names on them - and we're dealing with thousands of dollars.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. Since we can't offer legal advice or give advice on your situation specifically, I'll be commenting about the general legal rules regarding issues LIKE yours.

In situations like this, the minor children don't have rights to the accounts. Usually minors can't enter into contracts until at least 18 years of age. This means the adult who is on the account with them has sole rights to the account.

As far as the other parent having legal rights to the account, the answer (as far as the bank is concerned) is No. The only possible solution I could see in a situation like this would be for the other parent to file something with the family law court asking for permission to deal with those accounts since they involve the childrens' money.

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would family law court would that have to be in - Georgia or Kentucky?
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

That depends.

Generally, the original jurisdiction of the divorce/custody agreement would have continuing jurisdiction unless both of the parents left that state. For instance, if the parents got divorced in Georgia, and the mother moved to Kentucky, usually the jurisdiction for any modifications to the order would be in Georgia. A local family law attorney can let you know about any specific jurisdictional roadblocks based on your specific situation.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought. Thanks!
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Anything else?

Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Don't forget to rate if you valued my time. :)


Related Family Law Questions