How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3459
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the Godmother of my brothers child, and they would also

Customer Question

I am the Godmother of my brothers child, and they would also like me to be the guardian. I am a Finnish citizen living in Florida (I have a green card and a Finnish passport). The baby resides with my brother in Norway. My brother has a Finnish passport, and the baby has a Polish passport as his mother is Polish (my brother and his other half are not married). What kind of legal guardian ship papers and proceedings do we need to make?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. Since we can't offer legal advice or give advice on your situation specifically, I'll be commenting about the general legal rules regarding issues LIKE yours.

Are you asking whether you can become the guardian in Florida for your brother's baby in Norway (who will come to Florida)?



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct. I assume that If I still live in Norway, should it become necessary that I take care of him, he would come to Florida. My husband and I also live in New York. So yes the baby would live with us in the US, should for some reason my brother and his girlfriend be unable to take care of him at some point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I a Finnish citizen, with a US green card,
My husband is an American citizen
My brother has a Finnish passport, but works and lives in Norway
His girlfriend has Polish passport, but lives with my brother in Norway
The 10 month old baby boy has my brothers Last Name, but a Polish passport, and lives with them in Norway
They will probably also try to get him a Finish passport
Right now both the mother and baby also have 10 year VISAS to the US, and the whole family is currently here in FL visiting us
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the typo, meant to say I am
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering what kind of papers we need to file, and where, in order for me / us to be the legal guardians (or standby guardians) in the event of them not being able to take care of the baby or should something (God forbid) happen to them
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, for the Florida court to have jurisdiction, the baby who is the subject of the Guardianship would need to be a resident of the Florida county you live in for 6 months. Then, a family law attorney can file to have the guardianship issued. The court will have a hearing on the matter and grant the motion if all of the criteria has been met. :)

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I be the guardian if the baby lives in Norway? Are there some international forms or proceedings?
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

In the case of a baby living out of the country, one could not initiate proceedings in the US for a baby living in Norway.

Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Anything else I can assist with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's all I guess, thank you!
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No problem! Don't forget to rate if you valued my time! :)

Related Family Law Questions