How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok. So i am suing my ex boyfriend overdebt from our breakup.

Customer Question

Ok. So i am suing my ex boyfriend for left overdebt from our breakup. Things like left over utilities from our last apt, apt damages from him kicking holes in the walla, a cell phone account that was shared by us in my moms name that went to collections, another cell phone that was in my name that he paid on up until our breakup then wouldnt even return the phone. A parking ticket he got in my truck and refused to pay.My question is.... All of our agreement were verbal. My apt was owned by my mom so no lease agreement. We have some witnesses. What kind of burden of proof do i need to provide to prove my case? We even shared a bank account! So dumb i know. He has an attorney and because of the debt he left me with i cannot afford one. So im hoping there are some type of equilable "common law marriage" laws that i can have on my side in court. I can go in and plead "its only fair for him to pay half". But the laws are the laws.Can somebody please tell me what basics i need to win my case??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Oregon unfortunately does not all people to enter into common law marriages. A couple can only be considered married and get the benefits of that relationship by getting a marriage certificate. And what that means is that you'll have to look at other legal principles to get your money back. If your ex-boyfriend damaged an apartment owned by your mother, your mother can sue him for the cost of repairing it (unless it was covered by your security deposit). For the phone and utilities, you need to be able to establish that there was an agreement to share these expenses. Anyone who ever heard him talking about it can testify. You can testify. You can enter any emails or text messages you have that talk about the bills. You can even show the judge that the bills were being paid out of a joint account, to see if that helps.

For the parking ticket, you need to prove that he was the one driving the car when the ticket was received. Look at where the car was parked, then see if you have anything that indicates he was in that area on that day - texts, social media check-ins, selfies, anything at all. If he was with someone else, see if that person will testify. Your own testimony is also proof, but it would help to have more to substantiate what you're saying.

To win a court case, you're trying to build a wall of proof. Every little piece of evidence you can bring in is a brick on that wall. You don't need one piece of evidence that conclusively establishes that he agreed to pay. You just need enough evidence that a detached third party reviewing all of it can say, "Yes, I think that he more likely than not agreed to pay you for these things." In civil court, that's the standard of proof you're looking to meet.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions