Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been paying alimony years. is there any thing I can

Customer Question
I have been paying alimony...
I have been paying alimony for 54 years. is there any thing I can do legally to eliminate this
burden?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
3/29/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes. Someone in your situation can file asking to modify the alimony or terminate it all-together. Under Code of Virginia § 20- 109(A), a court may modify spousal support "as the circumstances may make proper." In short, this means a change in circumstance which would no longer warrant alimony. This includes but is not limited to:

-remarriage by either party

-a party retiring and having less money than foreseen originally

-a long illness

-unemployment

-the other party coming into money,

-etc.

So it is entirely possible to terminate alimony (or at least lessen it) by filing and asking this of the Court.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law