How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently went through a divorce. While we were separated

Customer Question

I recently went through a divorce. While we were separated my husband moved out of the house but paid the mortgage and utilities while my daughter and I lived there. I was told I was on the deed but not the mortgage even though there is some confusion now which is correct. Anyway, this was not addressed in my divorce settlement under alimony but now my ex says he is going to claim half of the mortgage and utilities as alimony. Can he do this? Also our agreement was not signed until April but he says we had a verbal agreement which he never told me in this verbal agreement he was using it against me as alimony. He wants to claim Jan-June. The agreement was signed in April . Can he do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

No. If the decree does not address it, he cannot claim alimony payments. He would have needed to have that in the paperwork that was signed by the Judge. Verbal agreements are also not enforceable. So he is out of luck.