How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get sole custody on my child if the judge 't even

Customer Question

How can I get sole custody on my child if the judge don't even reply to my motions for over a year? And my child lives not with me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


You state that you have been filing motions with the court for sole custody of your child for over a year. Did you actually file the motion for custody with the court and then send copies of the motion to the custodial parent using a Sheriff or constable to legally serve this paperwork on the custodial parent at the custodial parent's home address or business address? Once there is a signed statement from the Sheriff or Constable on record in the family court case file then the court can actually set a HEARING date on the matter and the court will notify BOTH parties that a hearing date regarding custody has been set in the case. THen you both appear at court and each of you presents arguments to the court to try to support your positions and the court will issue a written decision within about 30-60 days after the hearing date.


So if you have actually filed the motion for sole custody paperwork and then you served copies of the paperwork on the custodial parent as required by the Rules of Civil Procedure, then the court should proceed to a hearing on the matter/


Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you this morning. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating in the star rating section above (the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star are the positive ratings above). Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!