How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42314
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife now lives in Connecticut, she moved there from

Customer Question

My ex wife now lives in Connecticut, she moved there from V.A. We have a an existing order from New York. She has not given me her address nor any location so I had to find it online... I now have to file a complaint in your state, i believe it to be New Haven county. Is it possible to get an index number on the same day I submit a motion for contempt. Also by this violation, does it validate a motion for contempt?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you .

Yes, here is what the courts say..

Once you finish your paperwork, you must take it to the Superior Court Clerk’s office. There is no fee to file the motion. The Clerk will sign and return the Motion for Contempt form to you. It must be delivered to the other party by a State Marshal. The Clerk’s office or the Court Service Center can give you a list of State Marshals. A State Marshal will charge a fee for delivering the Motion which you must pay, unless the court has decided that you do not have to pay. There is a form to ask the court to pay the State Marshal fee if you prove that you cannot afford to pay. It is the Application For Waiver Of Fees/ Appointment Of Counsel Family (JD-FM-75). Do not sign this form until you are in front of a court clerk or notary public.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Here Clerk has to fill in the hearing date and stamp it and then you serve it.Thanks again and the best to yo u.Happy Easter.