How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118728
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am married little over 3 months, and moved into my

Customer Question

I am married for a little over 3 months, and moved into my husbands home. I also have lived here for approximately 10 months prior to our marriage. My husband has become angry and resentful, he barely speaks to me, and when he does, he throws my flaws in my face and makes me badly about myself. He told me today, not to come back to his house, and that he will have the locks changed. I need to understand what my rights are, and I also want to try and help him with whatever is happening with him, and try to figure it out and stay together.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He can eventually force you to leave his home, but not while it is the marital home and as long as you are married. Yes, the house is his separate property and in case of a divorce you would have to leave the home. Before you are divorced, it is the marital home and he cannot force you from the marital home without a court order, which means he has to file a petition for divorce and get a motion from the court for you to leave the home. If he simply changes the locks and does nothing more, you still have a right to enter the home until he gets a court order, even if it was his house prior to marriage and it will be his house after marriage.