How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27200
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I got a letter from child support services

Customer Question

My husband and I got a letter from child support services that the "local child support agency terminated child support services and closed the support case for .." his children. What does this mean? He has 2 children from a previous relationship.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Was there any open case against him? What was the issue as to why they were involved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yah - he stopped paying child support due to his permanent disability and financial situation. He never got the child support reduced when he stopped working years ago. Then in August, he stopped payment. We got a notice in January from them - saying the mom requested financials - to provide income statements - etc. There were none. The only assets he has is his property.
I know we have to get the child support changed. Not sure how to get it reduced for him. Also - does this mean that they don't want to deal with it because there is not a case??
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, based upon how you worded the letter, it would appear that they are not going to get involved. If they closed the case, they are not going to help and the mother would need to go a different route, if she wants to get payment. It is possible that based upon his situation, there is nothing they can do to enforce the order and have to close the case and the services, so the court would be the avenue that the parties have to go through for relief. In his case, he would need to file a motion showing the substantial change in circumstances to modify the amount.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in otherwords, the child support service feels that he does not owe money? (This is new to me as i am the financial power of attorney handling the case). It says "Child support orders will remain in effect. If you are currently ordered pay child support, you must continue to pay until the order is changed."
I don't understand, wouldn't child support services want to help my husband considering he overpaid - and due to his disability etc - they should reduce? I guess I don't understand why they asked for the financials from him if nothing happened.??
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

More information needs to be gained from them on Monday. The letter is vague and fails to place him on notice as to what they are going to do. Based upon your follow up, it says orders will remain in effect, so the obligation will still remain BUT it would appear what the mother asked them to help and step in and assist with, they are not going to do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool - so the mother's efforts were not successful to get more - but we are still accruing arrears until this is changed, correct?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that would appear to be the case based upon everything which you shared so you do want to proceed through the court to get this changed, since everything else will remain in effect.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Family Law Questions