How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A couple that we are friends with are going to let their

Customer Question

A couple that we are friends with are going to let their adopted daughter spend 2 - 3 weeks with another family that they know to get a break or respite. The family that their daughter will be staying with is in another state, so are there any laws that would require them to give guardianship or power of attorney to the family while they are caring for their daughter? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


There are no laws which look at this short amount of time as any more than a vacation for the daughter. So long as the daughter will not be attending school in the other state and this is not a long term arrangement for her to live there, then getting into legal documentation is not required. The parents should give the daughter her medical card in the event something happens while she is in the other state and make sure they are available by telephone in the event that something happens and their permission might be needed for medical treatment.


I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time today. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating before leaving the website. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!