How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Son in altercation at work. He was provoked, pushed and

Customer Question

Son in altercation at work. He was provoked, pushed and prevented from leaving the heated argument. My son stuck back. Hitting the other man in the face. The police were called and a misdemeanor assault charge was issued on my son. He has a court date of 3/29/2016. In Laquna Beach court system. What can he expect at the first hearing? What is a possible scenario that can occur? Should he obtain a lawyer now or wait till after the 3/29/2016 hearing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Usually, at the first hearing in a misdemeanor case, the judge will hear and decide the matter UNLESS a party requests a continuance. That said, continuances are usually freely given at the first setting.

However, he's much better off to consult an attorney prior to the court hearing and prepare a defense to the charges or have the lawyer try and reach a deal with the prosecutor to try and resolve the issue.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, your son should consider hiring a lawyer as before he has court and try to get the matter resolved at the first setting.

Related Family Law Questions