How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3920
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My given name is Elisabeth but I've always gone by. all my

Customer Question

my given name is ***** ***** I've always gone by lisa. all my documentation is in the name of lisa except my birth certificate and marriage liscense. my s.s. card is in the name of lisa b. rice. i'm now being told that to apply for s.s. benefits I have to legally change my name to lisa...... is that correct?? please advise me, thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am curious as to who is telling you this information. I am surprised if it is coming from the Social Security Administration. Ifit was a clerk at the SSA ask to speak to a supervisor.

The Social Security Administration accepts the following documents as proof of identification and do not have an issue sorting out your formal name from the name that you go by as long as you have the documentation to support that you are who you sya you are. The Social Security Administration accepts the following forms of identification documentation:

U.S. driver's license;
State-issued non-driver identification card; or
U.S. passport.

They also accept:

  • Employee identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
  • U.S. military identification card.

All documents must be current and include a Photograph on the card.

So if your SS Card is in the name of Lisa and you have a Driver's License and a Passport (Or other combination of two current photo Id's with your name as Lisa, and your work history is in the name of Lisa, you should have no issues.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,