Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How does a father have to claim s children before he loses

Customer Question
How long does a father...
How long does a father have to claim his children before he loses all rights? Let's say he doesn't put name on birth certificate- doesn't claim them- nothing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
3/24/2016
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the biological father is not listed on the birth certificate and has not signed a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity, then he has no legal rights to the children at all because there has not been paternity established.

.

So if no rights have been established, then there are no rights to be lost.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if a father has never claimed his child in 6 years, he can still file anytime for rights? There's no child abandonment that takes place? State of California

That is correct. He can file a paternity case at any time up until the child turns 18 to determine paternity and establish paternal rights if he is determined to be the bio father through a court ordered DNA test.

.

There is no child abandonment because the male has not been legally determined to be the legal father..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer