How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died 21 months ago. My son now soon to be 17 has

Customer Question

My husband died 21 months ago. My son now soon to be 17 has not been attending school regularly and the Dean of attendance told me I was doing to be sited for neglect. He has a serve depression and is seeing both a therapist and psychiatrist. I know he needs to be on medication. I am doing all I know to do. I work two jobs and still can't afford to live on my own with my son. We live with my parents in their 80's. I am depended on by all. How much trouble will I be in?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. See HERE. A parent can indeed be charged with truancy if the child fails to attend school regularly. A parent can be:

-fined up to $500 if they are found to have failed to compel their child to attend school, or

-be convicted of a a misdemeanor with up to one year in jail and up to $2,500 in fines (only in very extreme cases).

So the likely scenario IF one is charged and IF one is convicted is a fine. The prosecution often takes mitigating factors into account when prosecuting a case, of course. So if the parent really is doing their best, ***** ***** may work out a deal.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions