How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex Wife has paid little to no child support. State of

Customer Question

My ex Wife has paid little to no child support. State of Oregon has now suspended my case and wiped away the back support my ex wife owes. What can I do about this? How often does this happen because the absent parent can't be found?
Thanks for a chance to vent,
Jason Gurke (*****@******.***)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This was done by the support collection unit or the court? Oregon Child Support Enforcement can close a case and stop pursuing it if they cannot locate the deadbeat parent, but the ultimate jurisdiction is the court and the court is the only one that can wipe out arrears. You would need to file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt in the court, but you would need to know where she is to have her served with the court order.
You could also use a local private investigator to find her so you can serve her and force her to come to court for contempt.
If you cannot locate her, you also can ask the court for service by publication and then seek to have her parental rights terminated as well for extreme parental neglect and disinterest.
These are your options.

Related Family Law Questions