How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19477
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok im having MAJOR ISSUES with the county my child support

This answer was rated:

Ok im having MAJOR ISSUES with the county my child support case is in. First off, i fell around 11k behind aparently which is nothing considering i know so many people that are WAY further behind. They recently sent me papers saying they were gonna charge me with contempt if i didnt pay 4638.00. I talked to them and they confirmed that if i pay that prior to court, charges go away and no need to go to court. So i did. NOW i talked to this dumb bitch today and she said i hadta pay the full amount im back. Which is bullshit for one and for two the paperwork they sent me for these charges said SPECIFICALLY 4638. Which is what i got paid by some miracle. Now there was NEVER mention of paying anything over that. What do i do?

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I understand your frustration. Until you are fully paid back, or on a payment plan for the arrears, they can always threaten contempt. I will tell you in my experience if you make lump sums and are making an effort to get caught up, judges are not apt to agree to contempt. You should ask for a payment plan with their office but not the individual who is threatening you otherwise you should go to court and ask the judge to put you on a payment plan for the arrears. Let them know about the lump sump you paid. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to talk by phone for an additional charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you see the picture i sent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats the exact amount they told me i had to pay. So thats what i paid. Now they're saying some other shit. also may i add, 11k is nothing. I know handfuls of people that owe close to 100k. What can i do to get them to leave me alone about this piddly money?

I did look at it. Unfortunately, they cannot leave you alone unless the other parent you pay child support releases some of that amount. A lot of their systems are automated so they don't even account for conversations you have. You would have to have the judge address it specifically or get on some sort of payment plan. I know there are cases with much higher arrears but courts consider each case individually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the child support is from the county and her getting county aid. The point is, they sent me this whole packet stating i hadta pay 4638 and i spoke with them. Then i paid it, and now suddenly its a whole lot more. In the packet they sent me, it never mentions anything other than the 4638 period. Thats the amount they requested, thats the amount i paid. So what do i do?

It might be easier to talk via phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cant afford it.

Understood. Just set up time to meet with their office and ask them to explain what this is about. You made the lump sum requested and they are still seeking contempt. The other alternative is to get the other parent to release the arrears. If they do, then set an appointment with the Child support office to document the release.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can she release the arrears when its arrears owed from them giving her aid?

I do not follow. Is this for attorney fees? Then you can ask the judge if you go to court to have it released.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she gets county aid for years n years then they in turn bill me for it essentially correct? Cause she was saying if i paid the 4638 to them in one payment she was only gonna get like 50 bucks out of it.

In my experience, we generally released the attorney fees if the other parent is willing to release. I think you need to ask the court for a hearing to resolve this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What attorney fees are you talking about? Im talking about back support from her getting aid.

Yes, I understand, this is the state money has paid as part of health care coverage. Still they should be offering a payment plan or release of some of those amounts because of your lump sum. Like I said, a telephone call might help clarify.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok cool, so u cant offer any solution or even any ideas on how to deal with these scumbags. Awesome.

I am going to opt out and perhaps one of my colleagues can recommend a different course of action.

I have carefully reviewed your prior discussions with my colleague and he offered practical solutions for you. The only thing that I will add however is that you must now file Motion with the Court if the County is now backing out on their earlier notice to you to determine the amount that you owe and if you owe anything whether you would be allowed to setup a payment plan. You must now go to Court to resolve your dispute with the County. You can obtain Motion forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19477
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Phillips Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you