How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29988
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The father of my child pays me child support each month.

Customer Question

The father of my child pays me child support each month. About a year in the child support was lowered by $35 a month because he was ordered by the court to pay for health insurance which was $70 a month. So my half of the $70 a month insurance was deducted from my child support.He has not paid for insurance for several years now and I want to get the money owed to me. Also I'm starting to pay for new insurance for my daughter (through my new job) and I want him to pay for half of that. For a short time during the years where he was not providing health insurance I had state covered insurance for my daughter. It was only for a short time and not the entire time he wasn't providing it.What back support/money can I get? Also what can the change in the price of the new insurance effect the back support I'm owed since insurance is now more expensive? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You can request taht your ex be ordered to pay you $35/month for all the months that he did not pay for insurance for your daughter. That request would be made via a Motion to Enforce and/or for an Order to Show Cause Regarding Contempt. If you click the link, it should take you to the form. Here is more information on the process.

You can also request a Motion to Modify asking that he not only be ordered to start paying the $35 again, but also pay half the cost of the health insurance you're providing. On top of that, use this calculator to figure out support based on his current income and yours. The guidelines change every few years to adjust for cost of living changes, so you might be able to get more than you think.

Here is more information on moving to modify the child support order, along with forms.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.