How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10022
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters Biological fathers rights were just terminated.

Customer Question

My daughters Biological fathers rights were just terminated. I just need to know if my Fiance and I have to be married for him to adopt her?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have an attorney already, but the case is over. Before I pay a lot more money just to find out from her, I just wanted to see if I could find out online.
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

What state is this in regards ***** *****?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience as I researched this.

I could find no statutory or case authority which would allow 2 unmarried people to adopt a child. It is most likely because it can create too many problems- for example, who would have legal custody, visitation etc. Typically that requires either a biological or marital relationship.

However, AZ does have a streamlined process for step parent adoption, so once the marriage is effectuated, that can be the avenue by which to proceed.

Here is the statute that governs step parent adoption:

This site is currently not working - but it provides useful information on step parent adoption if you want to try back in a few hours.

Also please see:

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Actually here is the correct link:

(your county will have something similar)

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information provided was useful.

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly

--- Rate Positively---
so the site credits me for assisting you.

Thank you and take care!

Related Family Law Questions