Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can my daughter in oregon, leave a abusive husband and move

Customer Question
her and kids to us...
Can my daughter in oregon, leave a abusive husband and move her and kids to us in Alaska and file for divorce here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2016
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Yes, she can. However, it is prudent for her to wait at least 30 days to establish that she is a resident of Alaska in order to file the divorce action. Her husband may challenge the jurisdiction of the state to issue custody and visitation Order because Oregon will be considered the home state of the children if the children have not resided in Alaska for six months before the divorce action. However, since she is fleeing the state because of abusive situation, it is unlikely that the husband will prevail.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law