How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 19 and my sister dumped m off to take care of my

Customer Question

My son Michael is 19 and my sister dumped him off to take care of my step father his daughter has power of attorney and wont sign anything over to Mike so he can take care of him properly he asks both of his daughters to come and help and they just keep putting him off what can we do about it? He lost a manager position over being stressed out.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. I'm having a little bit of trouble following your question... who has power of attorney over Michael? Why do they have power of attorney over him? Whose daughters won't help? If you could please clarify I'd be happy to answer your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael is my son who is 19 years old and was living with my sister when he turned 18 she took him to live with his step grandparent Elgie dumped him off there was how he put it, and now he is taking care of an 84 year old man. Elgie's daughter who have power of attorney lives in Washington and will not help Michael out. Michael calls Diana and for help all she says is "Can't you do it for me"?
The other daughter De***** *****ves in Bakersfield and when asked to come help she says "I will be there in July". He can't do anything medically or anything else like get someone to help take care of him. Michael is working and trying to go to school and taking care of Elgie i feel is stressing him out he is too young and needs help is there anything we can do legally to solve this"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael is not the type of person to not take care of Elgie he does have a heart, but Elgie should have money for care. Elgie sold a house for half of a million that belonged to my Mother and him and now lives in a $90,000 trailer. I had to give Michael my couch because the other one was so bad in the trailer. I do not think my mother who is deceased would have wanted him living this way.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you.

* Thank you for your clarification. As far as "legally solve this," I would like to hear what you have in mind so I'm certain we're on the same page - but I will try to anticipate some of your concerns and answer your questions based on that. Michael is effectively a child would shouldn't be in this position at all but he doesn't have the authority to make legal decisions of any kind for his 84 year old step-grandfather. I know it's tough but frankly it would probably be in his best interests to leave, if you feel he is "stressed" and this is causing him to do poorly at work (or not get a job). He is under no obligation to stay. Perhaps if he were to leave, his aunt would offer to pay him for his services (effectively serving as a home healthcare aide). It's a tough situation - but ultimately he (Michael) has all the control. He can choose to leave, he can stay, he can ask for a salary based on all the work he does. Certainly, based on what you've written, it sounds like there ARE financial resources to care for the gentleman, but since your sister has power of attorney only she would be able to exercise discretion to pay Michael. If, however, you felt that she was acting improperly in some way, with respect to her POA status, you could hire an attorney and attempt to have POA transferred to someone else; you can also ask the step-grandparent if he wishes to have POA transferred to someone else. Also, if he (or you) feel the 84 year old gentleman is being abused you could report it to the state.

* I've tried to anticipate some of your follow up questions as well as answer your current questions. I hope it helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything.

* Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.