How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3459
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the child received a scholarship and grant/loan money and

Customer Question

If the child received a scholarship and grant/loan money and classes,food, and room/board are taken care of and he will not be returning to his mothers based on football schedule and summer classes why should child support stay the same? The child's needs are being met and the money should go to him not her because he will no longer be residing in her home? Is there no longer a Missouri law requiring that the college be split 50/50? We are getting conflicting answers
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

You are correct in that the child support goes for the direct benefit of the child. Child award orders are made based on the needs of the child and can change as the child's needs change. I'm not sure what prompted the court to order $1,000 for child support, but I would assume those circustances are now changed based on the change in the child's living arrangements.

Under this type of scenario, the court may hear a motion to modify the support based on a material change in circumstances. A local attorney should be able to counsel you on the probability of changing the order under your specific facts.

Splitting college 50/50 is a generally accepted practice and I do not know of a Missouri law that would force a Judge to rule in a certain way on that matter.

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.
DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would she get child support and not my son if between football, summer classes, and spring ball he would only be out of school approximately 5 weeks some of which he would be with me? I'm not against paying him but all of his basic needs will be met at school and really just extras that come up is what he needs? How do you get child support based off of his needs not hers? She is remarried and lives in his house yet keeps her house while I cover the expense??? I just want the money to go to what my son needs! I do not have a problem if he uses his scholarship, loans and grants and me and his mother split the rest, but I do think he needs to take out a loan as well for some accountability? I just want him to benefit not her and she agreed in Aug. she did not need support anymore and would be glad to give it to our son, now she says no. He does not get along with her husband and and that is part of the reason he is doing summer classes, so we can assume he will not be spending time there when he has other places? How do I get child support to go to him and based on his needs and stop supporting her?
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

The law dictates that the money to to the parent for the child's needs. It can't go directly to him.


Related Family Law Questions