How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34746
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mother wants to dissolve my contact and communication of my

Customer Question

Mother wants to dissolve my contact and communication of my son because we cant talk. I hate the mother and have tried to talk to my 14 year old son. At this point should I just terminate my parental rights and move on
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpSorry...I do not understand the question. Is this a legal question? Or a relationship question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has filed with the court to dissolve my relationship with my son
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can you tell me, what is your question regarding this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ex has filed a court case saying she wants to dissolve my relationship with my son. Should I agree with her and terminate my rights to my son. She wants me support my son but have nothing to do with him because I can't talk to her . He's 15 we can talk with out her being in the middle of the conversations.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank youIf you agree? And the court grants her request? Then you would no longer, legally, be the father. You would have NO rights regarding your son. IF you are OK with this? Then perhaps it is a good idea...generally speaking if the court grants the request to terminate rights you no longer have to pay support.But if you want to continue to be involved in your son's life? You want to consider hiring a lawyer and challenging this in court. Unless mom can show that you have abandoned the child? The court will not terminate your rights to the child.Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can.