How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance and girlfriend of over twenty-two years wants me

Customer Question

my fiance and girlfriend of over twenty-two years wants me out of the house its in her name she has told me over the years that everything was ours i did all the work at the old house and gave her money every week so that we could sell it and get the house were in now three years ago we took in her grand son who has down syndrome and raised him as our own i dont know what rights i have we live in maryland so theres no common law everthing she has giving me over the years she wants back including the gold which is in my safe what can i do
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: i havent work in over a year she told me to retire be cause her dad left her money and that it was our money i didnt think i needed anything in writing because of the length of time we have been together
JA: Our top Family Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Family Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Family Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. I am sorry to hear of your situation.

First, if you have made the house your home and have established a legal residence, which is appears you have with over a 3 year period, you do not need to leave until she files for an eviction and it is ordered by the court. That is not to say that a court won't order it. But only that you will not need to leave until then.

As far as your contributions and your retirement, etc, based on her verbal promise that you and she would share everything, if you are evicted, you still can take her to court to sue her for what you feel you are entitled to in the way of contributions based on that verbal promise. Maybe you have witnesses who heard these conversations over the years. You do not need to return anything to her, either, unless she gets a court order saying you do. But it appears you have a good grounds to argue in your defense on issues of what you contributed based on her promise of your two sharing everything and also any gift to you from her is a gift that a court would not ordered returned.

I suggest you can consider the following:

1 - Ignore her requests to leave but

2- Consult with a local attorney. You don't want her making up stories against you, such as you have abused her and then she could get a restraining order against you. A local attorney will be able to work things out with her on your behalf.

3 - See if the attorney can contact her on your behalf and discuss some sort of family counseling and at the very least perhaps mediation to help settle this and keep it out of court.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.

Related Family Law Questions