How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife was ordered to pay child support in Sept of last

Customer Question

My ex wife was ordered to pay child support in Sept of last year as our divorce was underway. She insisted on a trial and that was held in Dec. but the Judge still hasn't announced the decision on the case.
My ex refuses to pay child support, and has not tried to visit our daughter since the trial. What can I do to enforce the court order compelling her to pay the child support as ordered?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the judge ordered her to pay child support, and she has not done so, then you would have the right to file a motion to hold her in contempt of court and seek an order compelling her to pay. The judge can and should order her to pay and can fine or even jail her until she does so. Also, you usually can receive your costs associated with filing the contempt motion -- including attorney's fees.

So, you should consult your lawyer about filing a motion for contempt (sometimes called a motion to show cause) and get this resolved as soon as you can.