How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16630
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex is petitioning to reduce s child support and wants to

Customer Question

my ex is petitioning to reduce his child support and wants to use the osthler smith calculator and someone told me because he works so much overtime it would be better for me but I'm trying to figure out how to calculate it to see if i should allow this calculation or not
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

What is your legal question about the situation you have described?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to calculate child support using the osthler smith guideline
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the court would determine the percentage of the overtime earnings that should be paid as part of the child support and it determined in the same way as a regular child support, on a case by case basis, based on timesharing and overall income.

Once the percentage is determined for the overtime earnings amount that should go to child support, the court would "Smith-Ostler" order which will state the exact percentage that the parent has to pay toward child support from the overtime earnings.

I wish you the best of luck!

Related Family Law Questions