How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2129
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Not sure my previous question posted. I'm in a divorce and

Customer Question

Not sure my previous question posted. I'm in a nasty divorce and bankruptcy. I've got the worst lawyer in Georgia because they failed to inform me of an "emergency" custody hearing and several other incidents, consequently I lost temporary custody of my son and i am paying child support to a man who makes more than I. He and his dad are living in my one remaining house which I purchased in my name with my credit and income after the marriage. The bankruptcy is nearing the end, I lost my other two houses, also in my name and purchased witjout hid help, and I waited to change my mailing address while I stayed with friends until the final decree on the bankruptcy and divorce. Not only is my husband damaging the house in hopes of getting it for a better price if I'm forced to sell ( and he can by some miracle qualify for a mortgage...) he has changed the locks, installed a locking mailbox, and made it difficult to see my son.
Q. Can he destroy or refuse my mail while that is my house, even if he is living there? I don't want to annoy people who are letting me stay with them for free by having my mail mixed with theirs.
I have a zillion other questions but if I had that kind of money I'd be able to afford the retainer for a new lawyer. -bitter grin-
Y'all have done well on other questions for me. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. First off, you need to consider filing a lawsuit against the original attorney for his gross negligence. Under the professional ethics rules of lawyers failure to notify of a key hearing date is one of the worst causes of action one attorney can do. You should also notify the Georgia Bar grievance committee. This might force him to refund some of your funds so you can hire another more competent attorney.

As to your situation, no he cannot destroy your mail as you are still an owner on the house and have rights. However, a judge is probably not going to intervene on something like this so you might consider getting a p.o. box temporarily which is usually very inexpensive to make sure you are getting all mail. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. We can also talk by phone but there are additional charges.