How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sierra900 Your Own Question
Sierra900, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1023
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Sierra900 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend took me to go purchase a car my income tax

Customer Question

My boyfriend took me to go purchase a car my income tax money. I found the one I wanted but the sales man told me since I didn’t have a regular DL it could be not put in my name. So we put it my boyfriend name with understanding it was temporary. Almost a month later he called me while I at work (the car was with mere) and said he would be moved out before I got home he had a friend going to help him pack and move. Nothing was said about the car. When I got home he had trashed the whole apartment, destroying my property, our sons and stuff that didn’t belong to either of us but was on loan from landlord (who is also my sister). The next day while I’m trying to put things back together before and repaint because of him, my sister comes by and said a sheriff deputy was looking for me because he had called the car in stolen. So now he has the car. Can I sue him? And what are my chance for winning?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Sierra900 replied 1 year ago.


I will try and help, but I have a question. What do you mean you don't have a regular drivers license? Who paid for the insurance on this car? And were you driving without a license?

Please let me know.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been trying to get my DL issues taken care of. The only reason i dont have one is because of a clarical error made my a JP that has since passed away. i do howerver have an occupational DL because I work. The insurance was also but in his name but i payed it as well. he doesnt work and hasn't in years.
Expert:  Sierra900 replied 1 year ago.


Yes, you have a cause of action (you can sue him) but more importantly I would report the car as stolen. This is fraud since you made the down payment, paid for the insurance and (I'm assuming) the payments. It is important you call the police and report it. Depending on how they react, I would also talk to the local district attorney. I would also get your license fixed. You are going to need to be able to obtain a title and insurance in your name.

I hope this helps. If I can do anything else, let me know.

Best of luck to you.


Related Family Law Questions