How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34532
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to relinquish my parental rights to my daughter, I

Customer Question

I want to relinquish my parental rights to my daughter
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have her every other weekend. I never wanted to have her, she is four, but her father would not allow an abortion. She never wants to see me, be with me or see me. I am growing to hate her. I dread my weekends coming up and have had long term depression issues, she makes it worse. Part of me loves her, but when she denies me (I provide everything she could ever need in a home) it kills me. And it is taking its toll mentally and emotionally. I have a counselor who I may ask t write a letter stating that it may be in her best interest that I terminate them. I have no idea what to do.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Can you tell me, is someone else standing by waiting to adopt your daughter if you terminate your parental rights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he lives with his mother and father still. He isn't seeing anyone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additionally, I live in NY
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The court will not let you voluntarily terminate your parental rights unless there was someone willing to adopt a child.

The reason for this is the court makes all decisions based on what is best for the child. The court will not let you step away as parent unless there is someone ready to step up and take your place.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can terminate your rights but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Family Law Questions