How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 70 year old man with a health condition (back

Customer Question

I am a 70 year old man with a health condition (back problem) and have been living with my girl friend for more than 6 years. In the last year or so there have been issue due in large part to her mental health issue (mood swings probably depression).
We have talked about my moving out and she has volunteered to help with the transition (i.e. buying a mattress etc). I am faced with the prospect of starting my life over in New York city and living on a fixed income.
She is a very successful business lady with a net work of more than 3 million dollars.
Do I have any legal options in terms of asking for a separate settlement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Larry,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. You have never married her, right?

2. Has she ever promised to take care of you and pay your expenses if the relationship ever ends in exchange for you staying with her and being her companion all these years?


Related Family Law Questions