Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am a 70 year old man with a health condition (back

Customer Question

I am a 70 year old man with a health condition (back problem) and have been living with my girl friend for more than 6 years. In the last year or so there have been issue due in large part to her mental health issue (mood swings probably depression).
We have talked about my moving out and she has volunteered to help with the transition (i.e. buying a mattress etc). I am faced with the prospect of starting my life over in New York city and living on a fixed income.
She is a very successful business lady with a net work of more than 3 million dollars.
Do I have any legal options in terms of asking for a separate settlement?
Thanks
LN
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Larry,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. You have never married her, right?

2. Has she ever promised to take care of you and pay your expenses if the relationship ever ends in exchange for you staying with her and being her companion all these years?

Doug