Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can you modify an out of state divorce decree, if both

Customer Question
Can you modify an out...
Can you modify an out of state divorce decree for alimony, if both parties do not live in the state where the divorce took place? I currently reside in Massachusetts.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Sorry, but no. If neither party lives in the state any longer, then that state no longer has jurisdiction. The suit to modify alimony would have to be brought in the state of whether EITHER SPOUSE lives - most commonly in the state where the paying party lives, but not always.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your saying that I can't modify the divorce? Although, neither myself nor my ex- spouse lives in Louisiana. I would like to modify without going back to LA. I just don't understand if both parties do not live in the state of the divorce, why I shouldn't be able to modify it here in Massachusetts? Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I can modify divorce here in Massachusetts- what could I file under? Such as "enforcement to modify".
Let us take a step back. Please tell me:
1) What state was the divorce finalized in?
2) What state do you live in?
3) What state does your ex live in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The divorce was finalized in Louisiana. I live in Massachusetts and my ex- spouse lives in California. We were married for 18 years and I was a stay at home mom.

Thank you.

Yes, it is possible to modify to file for a divorce decree. Since neither live in LA anymore, then either Mass or CA would have jurisdiction since a party lives in either state.

If filing in Massachusetts, the pleading would be COMPLAINT FOR MODIFICATION, but would also require COMPLAINT TO REGISTER FOREIGN JUDGMENT/DECREE as well, to register the matter in one's state.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where would I add alimony under modification complaint or register to foreign judgment

Modification complaint.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law