Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can your lawyers help with elderly abuse? My wife's mother

Customer Question
Can your lawyers help with...
Can your lawyers help with elderly abuse? My wife's mother has been taken advantage of by her son and, despite our attempts to prevent it, he has sold her house and taken her possessions, tried to limit our visits to her, and possibly illegally used her money by not informing her Guardian of the Estate of what happened to the proceeds from the sale of her house. The house was in a trust for my wife and her brother, but we have been unable to discover the whereabouts of the money. My mother-in-law is currently in an assisted living/memory facility in Southern Pines,N.C. and wants to move to our house in Palm Coast, Fl. He is blocking any moves. The proceedings awarding him guardianship (limited) of the person were questionable at best (He never applied to be guardian. My wife did.) Because we were not in N.C., the clerk of the court awarded him guardianship without hearing arguments that we were more qualified and able. We are still involved in the courts in Moore County, N.C. and have an attorney working on this, but my faith in him is wavering after he showed up an hour late for the latest hearing (March 10,2016) and was unprepared. We are running out of options and finances to keep this up. My brother-in-law is using my mother-in-laws money to fight us. Unlike him, we don't need her money and are just trying to help my mother-in-law have a better life while she can. She is 94 years old and wishes to be more active than where she is now. We are both 66 and in good health, but my brother-in-law is not only abusing the elderly with his actions toward my mother-in-law, but may also be guilty of defrauding the elderly by taking my wife's share of the trust without her knowledge. No one will tell us anything about my wife's finances. The Guardian of the Estate is Atty. Emily Tobias, our Atty. is Ron Scott, and my brother-in-law's Atty. is a guy named Yelverton in Pinehurst, N.C.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2016
Family Lawyer: Michael J, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Michael J, Esq.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

Are you looking to 1) hire an attorney or 2) receive information about your situation?

Thanks,

Michael

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want any help I can get, but we don't have the finances to hire more attorneys.

Thanks.

In that case, what specific questions can I help you with based on the info you've provided. (I'm running out to lunch but will respond when I return).

Michael

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think you can help me and I'm not going pay more money just to talk. Thanks but no thanks.

I believe you have already made your deposit. No further money is required to post a question here and have me answer it. I'm looking forward to your response.

Michael

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I'm done. This was not what I was looking for. I'm not satisfied with this format and I'm not going to waste money and time going further.
Ely, Counselor at Law