How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11764
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can your lawyers help with elderly abuse? My wife's mother

Customer Question

Can your lawyers help with elderly abuse? My wife's mother has been taken advantage of by her son and, despite our attempts to prevent it, he has sold her house and taken her possessions, tried to limit our visits to her, and possibly illegally used her money by not informing her Guardian of the Estate of what happened to the proceeds from the sale of her house. The house was in a trust for my wife and her brother, but we have been unable to discover the whereabouts of the money. My mother-in-law is currently in an assisted living/memory facility in Southern Pines,N.C. and wants to move to our house in Palm Coast, Fl. He is blocking any moves. The proceedings awarding him guardianship (limited) of the person were questionable at best (He never applied to be guardian. My wife did.) Because we were not in N.C., the clerk of the court awarded him guardianship without hearing arguments that we were more qualified and able. We are still involved in the courts in Moore County, N.C. and have an attorney working on this, but my faith in him is wavering after he showed up an hour late for the latest hearing (March 10,2016) and was unprepared. We are running out of options and finances to keep this up. My brother-in-law is using my mother-in-laws money to fight us. Unlike him, we don't need her money and are just trying to help my mother-in-law have a better life while she can. She is 94 years old and wishes to be more active than where she is now. We are both 66 and in good health, but my brother-in-law is not only abusing the elderly with his actions toward my mother-in-law, but may also be guilty of defrauding the elderly by taking my wife's share of the trust without her knowledge. No one will tell us anything about my wife's finances. The Guardian of the Estate is Atty. Emily Tobias, our Atty. is Ron Scott, and my brother-in-law's Atty. is a guy named Yelverton in Pinehurst, N.C.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

Are you looking to 1) hire an attorney or 2) receive information about your situation?



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want any help I can get, but we don't have the finances to hire more attorneys.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


In that case, what specific questions can I help you with based on the info you've provided. (I'm running out to lunch but will respond when I return).


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you can help me and I'm not going pay more money just to talk. Thanks but no thanks.
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I believe you have already made your deposit. No further money is required to post a question here and have me answer it. I'm looking forward to your response.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I'm done. This was not what I was looking for. I'm not satisfied with this format and I'm not going to waste money and time going further.