How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2185
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My niece lives in CO and had 3 children when she and her

Customer Question

My niece lives in CO and had 3 children when she and her husband were addicts. The children were taken away from her and put into the home of her father-in-law. Her husband died of an overdose. My niece has since then gotten clean, has a job, and is remarried. She and her husband don't have a lot of money, but she desperately wants her kids back. Her father-in-law has money and is an ex-cop and knows the judges and other cops and has been able to block her efforts. There is evidence that the F-I-L's wife is hitting the kids, and my niece called the police to have them check it out. The police did, then came back to my niece and told her they knew she was trying to get her kids back and not to ever call them again. Incidentally the oldest child wrote a letter to the judge saying he wants to live w/ his mother, but the F-I-L was able to get my niece's request for a court hearing blocked. What can be done here? The ex-cop has money and friends that he's using.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this. She needs to try to get an attorney who can file for custody of the children based on the facts presented. If they do not believe they can get a fair trial in that county where the FIL lives, then the attorney can file for a change of venue to a different county to at least ensure a fair trial is done.