How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13905
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has baby by girlfriend born feb3. He signed birth

Customer Question

My son has baby by girlfriend born feb3. He signed birth certificate has never denied his child. The child support has nit been set yet. He is being denied visitation by the mother. Does my son have visitation rights? Does he need to get a lawyer and request hearing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

In all cases where a child is born to unmarried parents, it's important to establish "paternity," which refers to the legal relationship between a father and his child. In West Virginia, paternity is what gives a father the right to request custody and visitation with his child.

West Virginia allows parents to establish paternity when the mother and father sign a “Notarized Affidavit of Paternity.” The notarized affidavit should list both parents’ social security numbers, addresses, and should state that both parents acknowledge paternity. The affidavit should also state that both parents understand the rights and obligations of paternity as well as the alternatives to acknowledging paternity. Once the original notarized affidavit of paternity is filed with the State Registrar, paternity has been established. It sounds like this was done.

While the mother could voluntarily give him visitation at this point, since she is denying it, your son should file a "Petition for Support and Allocation of Custodial Responsibility." The West Virginia Courts do have the necessary forms and instructions online should he not have or want a lawyer. It's not required that he have one. The first link is to the instructions, he can find the forms here.

With something as important as custody and visitation, my personal recommendation is that he at least have a consultation with a family lawyer before doing anything. After filing the forms, a hearing on the matter will need to be held, yes. As a general rule, non-custodial parents are awarded at least some visitation --it is extremely rare that a parent would be denied unless the child was at risk with them (e.g., the parent had a criminal history of child abuse). Also, so he knows, visitation and child support are considered separate matters, in the sense that even if he were to fall behind on support, she is still obligated to give him his visitation time. Courts consider that too important to a child's upbringing to allow withholding of visitation if support isn't paid.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit.Thank you!