Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If you're financially dependent upon your husband and he

Customer Question
if you're financially dependent upon...
if you're financially dependent upon your husband and he gets mad at you can he just cancel your health insurance, car insurance and cell phone?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
3/12/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, he can cancel your cell phone and health insurance and car insurance, but if he does then under CA law he is breaching his legal duty of care and support of his spouse and you as that spouse can file a suit in court against him and the court will force him to reinstate them or will make him pay you the money for you to get them reinstated yourself by order him to pay you spousal maintenance and support.
Someone doing this is a sign of possible mental illness, so you could also consider getting him placed in a facility for involuntary mental health evaluation.
I suggest that as this is a form of mental domestic abuse that you go to the local legal aid office and get yourself some legal representation and have a lawyer represent you to get you support in place.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer