How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13513
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After filing, can I change tax withholding to single or is

Customer Question

After filing for divorce, can I change tax withholding to single or is it married filing separately until final disposition? We will remain in same household. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Yes you can. Actually, you could do this at any time so long as your spouse would not file jointly. You'd both need to file single. You do miss out on some exemptions filing single, so it is best to consult with an accountant before filing. Also, remember that your marital status as of December 31 controls. So if you are officially divorced by December 31, 2016, and then decide next year you want to file jointly again (for whatever reason) you wouldn't be able to.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.