LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

In the state of Florida... can a divorced single mother file

Customer Question

In the state of Florida... can a divorced single mother file for a family name change which is one petition verses filing two separate petitions for name changes for herself and minor child. Biological father has signed the consent form for minors name change.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Susan,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

When you seek a court order for the changing of two names, you must file a separate petition for each person whose name is ***** ***** be changed. It is not allowed to file just one petition including both people in the petition for a name change.

Also, filing together would not have saved you any money though, because each person filing in a single petition has to pay the same filing fee---per person. So the only additional work here is the paperwork.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Susan,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug