How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4823
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get my belongings back from an ex girlfriend in

Customer Question

How do I get my belongings back from an ex girlfriend in Nebraska after being in the hospital and she's demanding money but won't let me get my things. I just don't know what to do and it's already made me sick.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Could you explain your situation a little further? Are you belongings in her home? Is she telling you that you can't have them back, or is she just ignoring your attempts to contact her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lived with her for 4 years, I'm disabled with bad back problems. Last month on February 9th I came to my daughter's apartment very sick, my daughter took me to the hospital after vomiting blood. They diagnosed me with at least 3 bleeding ulcers and pneumonia keeping me in the hospital. I had been stressed at the amount of the bills at our house. I told her I had to stay in town to get medical treatment. Around my payday the 15th of the month she started texting wanting money for rent and utilities, I agreed to pay as long as she agreed to allow me to get my belongings when I was able to, she said some extremely nasty things about my daughter that I explained made it impossible to continue in a relationship. After she picked up the money she texted she'd send a letter when I could get my things, that text changed into another text that I could get my things but needed to give her 7 to 10 days notice, then it was another text I had to get it all in 1 day and couldn't bring help, she knows I'm disabled and can't do it alone. Yesterday she texted asking for more bill money, I wanted to get advice 1st and when she texts me it aggregates the ulcers I'm trying to get healed and after not getting an answer yesterday she sent a text today saying "It's been over 32 days". This isn't the 1st time she's done this in the last 4 years when I helped my daughter with surgery she did this, sent bad things via text then wouldn't let me get my things but demands money on the 15th. I only paid her last month to not have to go through this but I need to know my rights so I can get what I bought myself. I feel threatened and like I'm being extorted just to get what legally belongs to me. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be easier to explain over the phone if I push the call button would it put me in contact with you?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I can't take calls. If you would like to speak with a lawyer, let me know and I can opt out and allow another attorney to assist you.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

To answer your question, though, she cannot hold your property without giving you a reasonable opportunity to get it back from her. You can bring suit against her for a number of things, but ultimately you can sue for damages in the amount of the property refuses to return to you.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

If you have a key, my suggestion is that you contact the police and get them to escort you to pick up your things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that before they weren't willing to help without something I guess I'll call them.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

If that won't work, you should tell her you plan to bring suit if she won't return your property or allow you to pick it up. If that doesn't work, you'll have to engage a lawyer, who can send her a letter saying basically the same thing. Most of the time, people will then cooperate since giving you your property back is a whole lot easier and less expensive than fighting a lawsuit she's going to ultimately lose.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions. If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.

Related Family Law Questions