How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I got the paperwork and signed papers through

Customer Question

My husband and I got the paperwork and signed papers through rapid law with a notary in 2008. However, we never filed the paperwork. I still have it. We want to be divorced. We have no assets, and both want the divorce. We have not lived together for 8 years. We do have 2 children. Is the paperwork still valid? I live in Massachusetts and he lives in California. We agree on every aspect of the divorce.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still haven't received a response!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It had been an hour and a half
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I apologize for the delay. We have fewer experts online overnight.

If you used forms provided by the courts, they have most likely been updated in the past 8 years, so you'd want to go to the court's website to get new forms. Massachusetts has done some alimony reform over the past several years, so if the agreement calls for either of you to get alimony, it's a good idea to have a local attorney look at it before you file. Any alimony provisions in there might not still be valid. Child support guidelines are also adjusted every few years, so you'd want to do the new calculation based on whichever state you intend to file the paperwork in, if the paperwork provides for a set alimony amount.

If you drafted a Complaint yourself with no alimony and the child support amount is either not stated OR above the current guidelines amount, the paperwork you have should be fine as long as you still agree - however, you should redo the signature page, because the judge would likely reject an 8-year-old signature (especially if the notary commission on the form has expired, which seems likely). Massachusetts has a program where lawyers are available at family courthouses throughout the state to help people who are planning on filing documents. It's called "Lawyer of the Day." If you're planning to file in Massachusetts, it's a good idea to make an appointment with one of those lawyers who can read through and make sure there aren't any other provisions that might cause problems based on changes to the law since you last filed. This is a free service - check with your local courthouse to see if they participate.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions