Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband, daughter, and I live in California. My husbands…

Customer Question
My husband, daughter, and I...
My husband, daughter, and I live in California. My husbands first wife & 1 biological daughter lives in Texas, how or where do we file child support papers?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/10/2016
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

Is your husband seeking to establish or modify a child support order as to his daughter that lives in Texas? If there is an order already, in which state is it?

They got divorced in GA. We are looking to modify it based on cost of living & salary. California & Texas has a significant cost of living difference.

If either party wants to modify, they have to modify in the state where the other parent lives. So if your husband initiates modification, he will have to do so in Texas. Do you have any further questions?

S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney