How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step father passed away 4 yrs ago. My mother never

Customer Question

My step father passed away 4 yrs ago. My mother never changed the title of their car to her name. She just paid the license fee because it was the same address. She has moved in with me in a different county and we need to change the title and reg over to the new county. How difficult will it be to get this done. The state is saying we need to go through probate court.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, this now means you have no choice but to go through probate court. That is the only way to remove a name from a title after death. You can seek to file a small estate affidavit for collection of personal property, in the probate court. Once you get that approved you file that with the change of title and get the title changed over.