How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27198
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have not filed yet husband (67yr) left me for(40yr) after 33

Customer Question

have not filed for divorce yet husband (67yr) left me for(40yr) after 33 yrs and i want to sell house(joint/tency) but he will not so is the only way to make this happen is by filing
for divorce so the judge will make him (CA)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to say but it is. A court order is needed to force the sale of the home. In this case, the home would be considered a martial asset and you both would have a legal right and interest in it. As such, you would need to file for divorce and then ask the Judge to order that it be sold, unless it can be agreed to. The alternative would be to ask for a forced sale of the home but in that case, you would need to show that you do not know where he is and can not be found and that there is a legal basis to have it sold. Here, the sale is a result of the other person, so the family court would need to order it in the divorce.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.