Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I left a hospital with my daughter who was supposed to be…

Customer Question
I left a hospital with...
I left a hospital with my daughter who was supposed to be voluntarily admitted for possibly being suicidal. She had been assessed by a crisis person and I was told she was not at risk but to seek counseling. The school principal was at the hospital ( in the three hours we were there I never saw him). Someone is the hospital told him I left with my daughter to go home. He called DFCS and made a report. Was our privacy violated? Do I have a case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/9/2016
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, whether someone is admitted or discharged from a hospital is not private information and is not protected by HIPAA. So, if all the principal was told is that she was discharged and left with a parent, that's likely not any privacy violation issue. But, if there was more to it than that, you certainly have the right to file a complaint with the Dept. of Health and Human Services and let its investigators look into it. Here's a link to the complaint form: http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/what-to-expect/index.html

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks.

Roger, Attorney