How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2509
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is nisha, This is kind of please excuse me I am a

Customer Question

Hi my name is nisha
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This is kind of long please excuse me Hi..I am a single mother with full custody of my son and his father or sperm donor as I call him has visitation ...his father was very abusive towards me and we went to court for about 1 year and a half ..he doesn't care about my son and constantly tries to ruin my life and every relationship I ever try to have ...he constantly violates the court order.doesn't follow pick up and drop off times at all .I feel like am going to loose my mind dealing with him .he aggravates me every chance he gets.using foul language and even saying that hrs going to teach my son to call me a bitch because my son calls him by the first name ...please I need help .I am an emotional wreck. I feel like my life is turning inside out.can't even consider moving out of state because of the court order son has special needs and requires a therapist at school and this man doesn't make it easy for us to make any progress with my son...please I need a solution to this life ruining problem ..sorry for the long text
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

Hello. What kind of information would you like me to provide?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IDK anything .am all out of options ..OK can a man completely sign over his rights to a child?or what kind of help should I be seeking.what steps do I take .I need to know what my options are .I need to know who or where I can get professional help with great results
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

OK. Let's start with the violations of the order. If he's willfully violating the order, you could bring a contempt action against him. If you tell me what state this is, I may be able to tell you more about the benefits of contempt findings in your state.

With regard to signing over his rights, the answer is that in a few states he can. In most states, however, he could only do so as part of a stepparent adoption. Again, if you tell me which state, I can be more specific.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brooklyn new York
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

Here is a page that tells you how to enforce a New York custody order.

Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

In New York, a father can only voluntarily terminate his parental rights if you are doing a stepparent adoption. Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about free services for a therapist who deals with issues like this ...I need one badly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What exactly is a step parent adoption
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's not the stepfather he's the biological father
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

You might try counseling services through a domestic violence service center in your area. The abuse does not have to be physical. A stepparent adoption is where you marry someone else who adopts your child, essentially taking the place of the biological father.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh OK...not sure that I will be taking those steps any time that the only solution?
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

Not for terminating his parental rights