Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What steps should I take if my grandchildren's parents…

Customer Question
What steps should I take...
What steps should I take if my grandchildren's parents abandon them with us?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/8/2016
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

You can file for third party custody. To prevail, you would have to prove that the biological parents are unfit or that the biological parents waived their conditional parenting rights. (The latter is more common with same sex parents. Once you have proven this, the court will then decide if It's in the children's best interests to live with you. You need any additional information?