How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2431
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What steps should I take if my grandchildren's parents

Customer Question

What steps should I take if my grandchildren's parents abandon them with us?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

You can file for third party custody. To prevail, you would have to prove that the biological parents are unfit or that the biological parents waived their conditional parenting rights. (The latter is more common with same sex parents. Once you have proven this, the court will then decide if It's in the children's best interests to live with you. You need any additional information?