Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am currently in business with soon to be ex-husband. In…

Customer Question
I am currently in business...
I am currently in business with soon to be ex-husband. In the separation agreement we agreed to split profits as well as responsibility of the business 50/50. We also agreed that one loses interest or we can no longer work together that one has the opportunity to buy the other out. Here is my issue... I really believe he is bipolar and I never know what I am walking into. That is why I had to end our marriage. He is a huge manipulator. It is nothing but a roller coaster and I am afraid that I will have to get out of the business since he refuses to give it up. He does thing to run me out of there and I have so much personal debt and time built into it. I can't afford to walk away. It started as my dream and I worked hard to get it started when he showed no interest. When it started becoming profitable he then all the sudden was part owner. We are getting ready to open our store to the public (it has been mostly a wholesale business in the past) and I am getting worried because that just means it will be more profitable and harder to walk away from. My question is, what are my rights in this situation? If it gets so ugly that I can't be in the same place as him can he hold it against me that I am not physically there working as much as him? This has happened. I have walked out and not come back for about a week because I couldn't take his abuse no more and he threatened to sue me because I was not there doing my part. So I came back. I feel trapped because I love this business but he makes it so hard for me to do my part.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/8/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry for your troubles. Aside from just getting bought out which I know is not your preference. You both could amend your corporate bylaws or create a new contract outlining explicit roles and responsibilities and vacation times and other details that then keeps each of you able to work together with clearer expectations.