How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29822
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want a divorce but I'm not working because I'm in the

Customer Question

I want a divorce but I'm not working because I'm in the process of filing for disability. I have Crohn's disease among other health issues. I have been married for 8 years and I was a full time teacher for the past 10 years. We have two children ages 6 & 7. I have been the primary caregiver. My husband makes a lot of money but at the expense of our family. What options do I have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Pennsylvania has two types of no fault divorce. The first is by mutual consent, where there has been an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. That has a 90 day waiting period. If your husband will not agree to a divorce, then you can file only after you have been living separate and apart for 2 years. If that's the route you're going to wind up taking, then it's a good idea to see if a local attorney can help you seek spousal or child support during the waiting period. You're allowed to ask the judge to order your husband to pay your legal fees if he makes a lot of money and you have no income due to disability.

Because you're disabled and unable to work, you should be able to receive spousal support to help you maintain the marital standard of living. When a person requests support while the divorce is pending, they typically get 40% of the difference between the higher-earning spouse's income and the lower-earning spouse's income. For permanent alimony, you can request any amount that you think is fair after considering your ability to earn income and your available assets. Assuming that you're granted custody of the children due to your husband's work schedule, you'll also be entitled to child support. This site has a calculator that will help you figure out how much child support you might get.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.